School Uniform Policy
The School Policy is that all children in school should wear school uniform. The uniform consists of:
- Sweatshirt/cardigan or fleece with school logo or sweatshirt/cardigan/jumper in plain burgundy, with no hood
- White polo shirt/blouse.
- Trousers/tailored shorts/skirts/pinafore dresses in black or grey (no logos or stripes).
- Summer dresses may be worn - either red/white or gold/white checked.
- Riverside Primary School Book bag and PE bag with logo.
- A burgundy baseball type cap or legionnaire style cap is also available to purchase for summer wear.
- PE kit consists of a white T-shirt, black shorts- not beach or cycle shorts – plain Plimsolls or trainers (trainers are preferred). Tracksuit bottoms may also be worn during winter months.
- Swimming trunks for boys (shorts not acceptable at pool for health and safety reasons), one piece swimming costume for girls.
- No jewellery except watches or stud earrings may be worn in school, which must be removed by children for all physical activities. If earrings cannot be removed by the child then the child will have to temporarily miss the activity.
- If possible, long hair should be tied back during the school day.
- Nail varnish, make-up, hair gel, or hair colours, must not be worn in school. Long hair must be tied and secured for PE and Swimming.
As well as the above items, children are expected to wear sensible footwear – black shoes (no trainers). Shoes must not have heels in excess of 2cm and be shoes with closed toes.
All items of clothing must be clearly marked with the owner’s name
The wearing of school uniform is not an option but an obligation. It is expected that parents and children will honour this agreement and make every effort to uphold the desired standard of dress.
Any parent experiencing problems in purchasing articles of uniform should initially contact the Office or arrange to meet with the Headteacher.
The intentions of adopting a school uniform are:
- to give all children a sense of corporate identity - of ‘belonging’ to Riverside Primary School
- to standardise items of clothing worn for school
- to maintain a neat and clean appearance that will hopefully be transferred to other aspects of children’s education
- to ease confrontation between parent/carer and child about what should be worn to school;
These intentions will be communicated to parents/carers and children on appropriate occasions or when the need arises.
We hope that all those involved in the school community, staff, parents/carers and children will share these intentions and enforce the democratically reached decision for children to wear school uniform.
You can order your child's uniform online at http://www.mapac.com/education/parents/uniform/riversideprimaryme8